Monday, November 5, 2007

EVERY GOOD THING to RUST

It occurred to me that, though I have been a part of the process all along, I've never written about my husband John's recently finished feature film, "Every Good Thing to Rust." Shame on me.

If anyone knows anything about John Yost, it is these three things: he is always creating; if he says he's going to do something, he does it; and he is the most loyal friend anyone could ask for.

That's why when he said to me, back in August of 2006, that he was going to make a feature film, begin shooting it the following month, and finish it the following summer, I said, "Well OK. I'll make the website."

And as all of his friends and family know, he did just what he said. He cast his friends Holland and Randall in the lead roles, and they agreed not only to come to Lake George three times within the next year, but also to grow out their hair and beards. Good friends, indeed.


John, Holland, and Randall.

Everything fell into place. Dan Swinton, a fellow RIT film grad and friend, lent John his brand new HD camera. Brandon Bethmann, a friend and co-worker from WMHT lent him audio gear. Kevin Kilcher came up from New York with his SteadiCam rig. And friends, parents, and co-workers helped out with everything from providing food, locations, and moral support.

I must admit, having a filmmaker for a husband has some nice fringe benefits. While I did have to sit back and bite my tongue while the guys ripped apart our living room and splattered fake blood on the walls, I enjoyed entertaining good friends for weekends at a time, getting to cook and drink wine with Bri, go shopping with Laura, and party with the boys. (The dance party "scene" was the best!)

Well, Johnny did it. Again. He is immensely talented, full of ideas, and every film he makes is better than the last. EVERY GOOD THING to RUST is indeed dark and pensive, but I know - because I know John - that it is hopeful. It is a beautiful contemplation of what could be, but isn't. It is a reflection of John's fears for society, because he loves it so much and wishes it could be better than it is.

No one would be surprised to hear that he's already working on two more projects, scripting the next film in his mind and on scraps of paper. I can't wait to see what's next, and to be a part of the whole process.

I am so proud of you, honey. I love you.

1 comment:

Trina said...

I was so glad to be a part of the premiere. It was a great event! John, your movie is very thought provoking, and the fact that it asks something of the audience gives it an integrity so many films lack. I can't wait to see the next one! Raeanne, great post :)