Saturday, December 29, 2007

Between Holidays

Despite all the mucking about, the wondering if I'm a Scrooge, and the hours of chocolate-covered-pretzel making, Christmas was lovely. In fact, it's been the nicest Christmas in quite awhile.

I'm learning to go with the flow a bit more. It's one of my biggest challenges. As a borderline Obsessive-Compulsive, it's difficult to throw down the reigns and let go of control. I constantly try to do everything as efficiently and successfully as possible, so just kicking back and attempting to not mold everything into what I want it to be... well, it's not always easy for me. But this Christmas, I did it well.

I had a few cookies and didn't beat myself up over it. I broke down and went to Wal-Mart to buy Dad the Eagles CD he wanted. I didn't get too pouty after eating mashed potatoes for three days (Holiday meals are not too Vegetarian-friendly). I had a blast playing with my adorable new nephew, Gavin, and stayed up late playing Scrabble with my sister and her fiance. I slept in and didn't feel bad about it (yes, believe it or not that's an accomplishment). And I had an awesome time catching up with the family and enjoying their company. I did all of this and maintained calm despite issues with our car that were not resolved until just before leaving home (a long, boring story that ended well - we made it home in one piece, though I missed some work because of it).

All in all it was a lot of fun. And last night we had our Christmas Part II: the Yost version. John's parents, brother Neil and his girlfriend Sol-Ana came over last night and we had another night of fun making homemade pizzas, playing board games, and opening more presents. Our homemade gift this year - a custom designed photo yearbook for both of our parents - was a huge hit (despite the close call with holiday shipping, I highly recommend blurb.com).

Now, in-between holidays and there is much to do... lots of work to catch up, lots of cookies and chocolate to burn off, and lots of New Year's plans.

But first, an extended weekend to New York City for New Year's. Honestly, I think New Year's is one of my favorite holidays. It is so much less stressful than any other holiday and there are really no rules - just to have fun! I have been truly spoiled every year since I've met John, as our New Year's festivities are always outrageously fun: 2003 we partied like rock-stars at RIT with a bunch of friends; 2004 we watched fireworks over London from our hotel room with the Yosts and my Mom; 2005 we hosted a party at our Rochester apartment; 2006 we partied on a rooftop under city-wide fireworks with friends in Brooklyn; and last year we rang in '07 in Montreal. Every year the scenery may change, but the good friends, good locale, good drinks combo never gets old.

This year we're going back to Brooklyn, as Johnny has to record the Director's Commentary for his film with Holland and Randall (which has received online distribution through IndiePix.net). We'll be staying with them and probably hitting the town for some party-hopping. No definite plans guarantee another memorable night.

I think what I love most about New Year's is the fact that you 'go out with a bang' so-to-speak... and get a fresh start, all at the same time. I am a self-reflective person by nature, and there's no better time like a New Year to look closely at your life, realize all that you've accomplished, and set some goals for the future. It's going to be a good year... I can feel it.

Here's to '08. And going out with a bang! Happy New Year!

No comments: